Sunday, May 8, 2011

Seattle- A Focus on Relaxation

Let's start with the bad news. The garden is fine (that's not the bad news). Unfortunately my hand is not. I was spending a lovely evening cooking for friends when long story short I sliced my finger. And not only did I slice it I sliced part of it off. I won't go into the gory details but needless to say I am out of commission. So gardening this week has been very much a watching sport. I was able to get some stuff done though...

Middle finger of my dominant hand is really causing some problems.

So for starters I really needed to thin the carrots but again I am worried about over-thinning. But I pulled a few big chunks out. Super funny too because I expected minuscule carrots to pull out. I was a little disappointed that there wasn't anything but white roots.

Before thinning...

After half-assed thinning.

The cilantro is kicking!! Matt is super excited. It looks beautiful but I've noticed an uneven growing in the pots. Did I heavily seed one side of the pot and not the other? Are they getting different light? Maybe I dumped more seeds in one pot than the other. Not sure. I'll keep an eye on them (which is about all I can do right now anyways).

Cilantro is a'growin!

Remember last week when I thinned out the lettuce? Well, as you can see it helped! Even that little bit! They've gotten much bigger already. I'll give it a little more time and then begin to thin again. Maybe bigger pots next year OR I could plant each teeny-tiny seed with tweezers. Hmm, there's a thought.

The lettuce is growing strong.

Biggest scare? I still have basil and chives that have not sprouted!! What did I do wrong?! I have been watching them like a hawk too. Super fun though? The catnip sprouted!! Neti was even out there with me when I found it. I think she's excited.

Itty-bitty catnip sprout.

So all in all things are going well for the garden. I just need those other two pots to bloom!! It would be an amazing morale booster. I'll just keep checking on them everyday. Stalking them really. Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment