Sunday, July 3, 2011

Seattle- Trials & Tribulations

Hello everyone! It's been awhile since an honest update on my garden and to tell you the truth I'm starting to get bored with it. Not the blog, but the garden. The problem? Well, first off my mind is on other things like the wedding (5 weeks!) and I have gotten an intense need to craft!! Check out The Land of Crafts which is Devon's and my crafting blog.

But really I think that in my excitement to start everything from seed I didn't realize how long it would take to use it!! I mean, it's already July and I haven't even sampled my basil or oregano or thyme!! I feel like I'm losing out. Transplants are the way to go. Now, I say that with a grain of salt. For some plants, transplants are the way to go, like my blueberries or herbs, but others, like my zucchini plant are rock awesome and in perfect timing for use. Or like the lettuce (to the right there), those are already asking for a second harvest and are amazing delicious. So I guess the learnings are that fast plants should be seeds and slow plants should be transplants. Look at all the drama I had to endure just to learn that basic concept. Oh well, it's about the journey. Right?


Speaking of drama we have new developments. I have been religious about watching my plants for aphids or bugs or anything after I had to destroy all of my mint. This morning when I went to take a look at my transplants I realized they had molded (see below)!! Remember Devon's mold from earlier on her transplants? Well, mine looks a little different. It looks almost like aphid moltings, so of course I freaked out, but I couldn't find a single aphid and how would they get inside where the transplants had been, right? Plus, it looks like mold on the soil. One of my stunted (duh) basil plants was covered. Of course stunted right? It's molding. I wouldn't grow either if I was molding. Oh, that was a gross visual, sorry. So I moved the biggest and brightest basil sprouts, now a significant size (view to the left), out to the patio to "air out". I'll probably transplant them this afternoon just to work them in.

Impatience due to starting everything from seed has run rampant in this apartment. For example, the carrots. I don't know how long it takes to become a carrot as I am not a carrot, so I got curious and pulled one and it actually looks like a carrot! But it's not anywhere near ready. That's ok though, because I was able to judge progress which is all I need.

Speaking of progress check out these plants!! Especially the blueberries! Matt is very excited. I told him now we have to fight the birds to get the first taste. We are hoping our Neti will act as our blueberry guard against the birds. She stalks them all day anyway.


Thyme is growing! 

Hydrangeas are ready to bloom 

Zucchini is growing FAST! 

New spinach looks much healthier and is growing faster

No comments:

Post a Comment