Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Seattle- Day 45: Many Successes, One Failure

Let's just get that failure out of the way and move on to the good stuff. My basil died. Slowly but surely, my basil died. I knew picking out the plant at the store that it wasn't the healthiest but I was just so anxious to get everything I wanted. Note-to-self for the future: just pass on the icky plants. But basil is my favorite! This is just my excuse to go back to the De-pot and find two plants! I think maybe the issue was too much water in the tomato plant it was sharing a pot with, not enough sun, and chilly weather. So the next run-around should be great.

And now for the successes!


My spinach is actually starting to look like spinach and has created these amazing little leaves. I can't believe I'm going to eat this stuff eventually!! It's too cute!












Praise God the beans sprouted!!! Take that Doubting Devon! They sprouted strong as ever!! I found another coming up and have one yet to show his head. I am SUPER excited about it. MAJOR success.














My lettuce is kicking butt! (Mom's read this blog, so I have to say butt) I'm sure you can see that I have thinned them out a lot. Next year? More pots of lettuce. Well, that's what I think now, we'll see how often I harvest it when it's eating time. I don't want to be inundated with lettuce. Although, I'm not sure that would actually be a problem.








And now, for my favorite and most successful accomplishment- STRAWBERRIES! This is the most amazing plant. I can literally see it reaching for the sun in the morning. It has just grown so much, more than any other plant, and it has 5 beautiful white flowers that will soon yield fruit. Well, I don't know about soon. I'm still learning. But look how beautiful!!







Funny Story: Matt and I started eating the cilantro, since it is taking over the pot. I made yummy beef vegetable soup (Grandma's amazing recipe, my favorite) and put sour cream and fresh cilantro on top. Matt took the first bite and asks in a horrible, disapproving, tragic voice, "What did you do to the soil?" "Oh, no!" I said, "Does it taste bad? It's just regular potting soil! Is it really that bad?!" He looks me straight in the eyes and says, "No. This is the best cilantro I have ever eaten! Can we grow more?" Haha! Needless to say, Matt is now a full supporter of the garden and can't wait to eat more. See our pretty soup?






No comments:

Post a Comment