Sunday, March 28, 2010

Seattle- Day 1: Beginnings

USDA Hardiness Zone: 7B
Last Spring Frost: March 24th
First Fall Frost: November 11th
Length of growing season: 231 days

Well, as I'm sure you can tell from earlier posts my sister is on the ball! I was with her in Chicago when she bought her lovely new pots and seeds and such. So, today I spent the day flying back to my home in Seattle and trying to catch up with her gung-ho attitude. But to my dismay it was pouring down rain, so not great weather for sitting on a porch, especially with a whole day of flying just before. But at the least I gathered myself up for a day (well, an hour or so) of Home Depot shopping!

I knew the pots and tools I would need (due to my obsessive list-making nature, taken advantage of on the plane) and I knew the seeds I could pick up so I decided to go for it. No plants yet, I'm not near ready for planting. The problem with not being ready is that Seattle is already in the growing season!! In fact I'm already late on my spinach! But, I don't think a week will matter. Wait, will it?

So here's what's on the agenda...

Vegetables: Beans, Lettuce mix, Spinach, Tomatoes
Herbs: Basil, Cilantro, Mint, Oregano, Catnip
Fruits: Blueberries, Strawberries

I know that's a little ambitious, Devon's not doing fruits (which sound kinda hard), but she has WAY more veggies than me, but I'm short on a space. Not only that but I'm sure you can tell from the picture here that my patio needs some cleaning up! I have dead plants (from the summer past) that need throwing away, some sweeping done, some organization. So that's on the agenda for the week and hopefully my seed planting! Problem is, my darling fiance is away for work in Moses Lake, WA and I won't be home for the weekend, so maybe I shouldn't start. Regardless, the next few days will be spent cleaning up my tiny patio and hoping I'm not wasting time by not planting yet. Hope I'm right!

1 comment:

  1. You girls are so great! I know your gardens will be glorious -- don't forget to add a few separate pots of flowers to give your garden that burst of color. Marigolds will help with bugs -- they really don't like marigolds. You may also want to see if you can find a few worms to add to the pots to keep them aerated. I can't wait to see your pictures! Love, Your Mother

    ReplyDelete